The eight ISME Commissions offer members opportunities to explore a specialised area in greater depth than might otherwise be possible. Through the Commissions, ISME members share mutual interests and gather, collate and disseminate information on developments in their specialised fields within music education.
Each Commission hosts a preconference seminar just prior to each biennial ISME World Conference. Each Commission then hosts sessions at the World Conference. The Commissions also undertake ongoing activity between conferences and many issue their own publications in their specialist area.
The Commissions are:
- Research Commission
- Community Music Activity Commission (CMA)
- Early Childhood Music Education Commission (ECME)
- Education of the Professional Musician Commission (CEPROM)
- Commission on Policy: Culture, Education and Media
- Music in Schools and Teacher Education Commission (MISTEC)
- Music in Special Education and Music Therapy Commission
- Instrumental and Vocal Music Teaching Commission (IVMTC)