Call for Senior Editor for ISME-Routledge Book Series
Deadline for applications: March 31, 2020
ISME is looking for a new Senior Editor to lead its ISME-Routledge Book Series.
In 2017, ISME partnered with Routledge to create a new book series on global perspectives in music education. The ISME-Routledge Book Series provides a focused conduit through which ISME members and their colleagues can publish scholarly and practice-based work. The series reflects domains in which the global ISME membership engages, promising a cohesive body of work that aligns with the mission of the Society and is resonant of scholarship, practice and research undertaken in its name.
After a successful two-year beginning under the leadership of Dawn Bennett, the ISME-Routledge Book Series is quickly establishing itself in the field of music education research and practice. As the series moves forward under the leadership of a new Senior Editor, it will merge into a single Book Series that will accept book proposals that align with one of two themes:
- Global perspectives in music education: topics of broad and critical interest to music education. The fluid themes will reflect the changing needs and contemporary issues affecting music educators worldwide.
- Specialist themes in music education: exploring specialist themes that are well established within ISME and addressed by the ISME Commissions and Special Interest Groups as well as proposals that address new areas of interest.
Each volume in the ISME-Routledge Book Series can take one of three forms:
- Scholarship: a collection of chapters focused on the theme or aspect of the theme
- Instructional: a book aimed at the professional music educator providing an essential resource for practitioners
- A short monograph (40,000 words) addressing a key theme from within a particular area. Collaborative, cross-field investigations are encouraged.
The successful Senior Editor will be responsible for the editorial oversight of the Book Series to ensure that appropriate processes are in place for each book: a coordinated peer-review process, reviewing book proposals, and commissioning high quality submissions. The Senior Editor will uphold the highest standards of scholarship for the Book Series, and will ensure that reviewers and authors adhere to the ISME-Routledge Book Series guidelines and peer review processes.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape the next Editorial Board for the Book Series and will help to develop a new reviewing process in consultation with the next Chair of the ISME Publications Committee.
Routledge, the Chair of the ISME Publications Committee and the ISME Professional Team will support you in this role. The ISME Executive Committee will help to inform your strategic decision-making, and offer guidance on strategic development of the Book Series to maintain alignment with ISME’s mission, values and objectives.
The term of the Senior Editor is for three years.
Becoming the Senior Editor is envisioned to be a rewarding and fulfilling experience where you will build your own networks, promote a wide range of scholarship and practice in music education, and be recognized as a leading figure within the global music education community. It is a significant role, with a high profile, but one that should be compatible with an existing academic appointment.
Interested in applying?
Here are the skills and attributes we would be looking for in a successful applicant:
- Active in the scholarly community with strong personal networks
- Confidence to engage with authors and researchers to solicit the highest quality submissions
- Strong organizational skills to ensure that submissions are handled in a timely manner
- The ability to foster positive working relationships with colleagues, book Editors and authors.
Submitting your application
If you would like to apply for the position of Senior Editor, please forward your CV and a vision statement to email@example.com by March 31, 2020.
Your vision statement should be no longer than two pages and should cover:
- Where you believe the field of music education is going, and the ISME-Routledge Book Series’ place within it
- How you would work in partnership with the Chair of the ISME Publications Committee and the Editorial Board for the Book Series
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you would work with book editors/authors