In partnership with Routledge, ISME publishes two series of books about music education, each with a dedicated theme:
- Critical perspectives in music education: Publications within this strand focus critical thought in a single issue and/or drive policy and practice forward through new resources, approaches, pedagogies and insights. The books include monographs, edited books and practitioner-facing publications from researchers and practitioners which could either present a key theme within one ISME Commission, Special Interest Group, the Forum or Standing Committee, Special or from cross-area groups that span two or more of those ISME areas.
- Specialist themes in music education: Publications within this strand draw on the cutting-edge research being carried out within ISME Commissions, Special Interest Groups, the Forum and Standing Committees. Publications provide a deep critical interrogation of the issues at hand and/or resources for practitioners based on the work of those ISME areas. These may be standalone publications or mini series of up to three progressive and connected works.
These provide members of ISME and their colleagues with the opportunity to participate in specialist music education publications of scholarly and instructional work.
Senior Editor for the Routledge book series is Jennie Henley.
Each book series has an editorial board:
Critical perspectives in music education
To be advised
Contemporary issues in music education
The Editorial Board will comprise nominated members of the appropriate Commission, Special Interest Group, Forum or Standing Committee.
An informal discussion with the Senior Editor, Jennie Henley, is encouraged in the first instance.
Downloadable below are:
- A proposal submission form - coming soon
- Proposal guidelines - coming soon
- A full publication process
Questions about any of the strands above should be directed by email to the Senior Editor, Jennie Henley.