In partnership with Routledge, ISME publishes two series of books about music education, each with a dedicated theme:
- Global perspectives in music education: topics of broad and critical interest to music education. The fluid themes will reflect the changing needs and contemporary issues affecting music educators worldwide.
- Specialist themes in music education: exploring specialist themes that are well establisehd within ISME and addressed by the ISME commissions, forum and standing committees. The editor, however, also welcomes proposals which address other boundaried work and new areas of interest.
These provide members of ISME and their colleagues with the opportunity to participate in specialist music education publications of scholarly and instructional work.
Each volume takes one of three forms:
- Scholarship: a collection of chapters focused on the theme or aspect of the theme
- Instructional: a book aimed at the professional music educator providing an essential resource for practitioners
- A short monograph (40,000 words) addressing a key theme from within a particular area. Collaborative, cross-field investigations are encouraged
Editor in chief for the Routledge book series is Dawn Bennett.
Each book series has an editorial board:
Global perspectives in music education
Senior editor: Professor Margaret Barrett, University of Queensland
Bo-Wah Leung (Asia)
Brydie-Leigh Bartleet (Australia)
Smaro Chrysostomou Europe (South)
Heidi Partti Europe (North)
Patricia Gonzalez-Moreno (Latin America)
Ross Purves (United Kingdom)
Jeananne Nichols (United States)
Specialist themes in music education
Senior editor: Associate Professor Jennifer Rowley, Sydney Conservatorium, The University of Sydney
Proposals are invited from ISME members. The proposal document is below for download as a PDF. There is also a copy of the reviewer questionnaire and author guidelines.
ISME also created a partnership strand through which it works with partner organisations around the world to enable publications from diverse contexts and across our membership
The first book in the Partnership strand is with the Canadian Music Educators’ Association. We welcome proposals from other ISME Partners including professional associations and organisations.
Our collaboration with the Canadian Music Educators’ Association/L’Association Canadienne des musiciens éducateurs (CMEA/Acme) encourages and enables contributions from CMEA/Acme members.
Senior editor: Professor Susan O’Neill, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver
Editorial board: Editorial boards for the Partnership strand are determined in consultation with partners and the Senior editor.
Questions about any of the strands above should be directed by email to the editor in chief, Dawn Bennett.