Applied Pedagogies is a special interest for music teachers worldwide. Our primary mission is to offer educators a wide array of pedagogical applications from well-established and emerging theories of instruction. Expanding pedagogical horizons for teachers and teacher-educators will allow them to forge new directions in their educational journeys. In particular, this Special Interest Group on Applied Pedagogies sponsors workshop and hands-on sessions featuring local instructional and performance practices. Our intent is to offer sessions that will span the PK – adult gamut, embracing general, choral, and instrumental music settings that feature innovative approaches to applied pedagogy.
Potential topics include:
- Comparisons and contrast among pedagogical practices
- Examining the development of well-established applied pedagogical traditions
- Sampling emerging pedagogical practices
- Experiencing traditional musics through the most authentic pedagogical practices
- Examining how applied pedagogies span the PK – adult age range
- Exploring complementary and contrasting approaches to music teaching and learning on an international scale
The aims of the Applied Pedagogies SIG are to explore, experience, and expand ISME members’ understanding of active instructional practices in music. By doing so, members will enhance their ability to engage students and facilitate active music making.