The mission of the Advocacy Standing Committee is to identify and create opportunities to advocate on behalf of music education in international forums through-out the world, emphasising the importance of including music in the education and life of every young person. To accomplish this mission, the work of the committee includes:
- Planning and offering advocacy sessions at the ISME biennial world Conference
- Maintaining and updating an advocacy resource page with a variety of materials and relevant links on the ISME website
- Identifying and publicising existing advocacy materials in ISME journals and newsletters
- Serving as a resource for music educators who need assistance in advocating for music education in particular regions and countries
- Developing closer ties with partner organisations in business, government and other national associations to co-ordinate a more international perspective on advocacy
- Collecting and sharing successful advocacy efforts from various countries around the world
ISME also has a dedicated advocacy page with resources for music education advocacy.