What is an ISME National Affiliate (INA)?
An INA is a national organization or institution engaged in music educational activities with open membership to any music educator in the nation, has recognized national status and a vision or mission which supports ISME's mission.
An INA is an ISME Group Member that has been granted the status of INA by the ISME Board of Directors for a defined term. Normally the status of INA is granted for a period of six years. An INA has certain privileges, duties and responsibilities:
- Each INA has the right to use the phrase "representing ISME in . . [name of nation]".
- At ISME Conferences and other appropriate opportunities INA representatives will meet together and with Board Members in special focus sessions to discuss common problems and issues.
- An INA has a special profile on the ISME website and a link to its own website.
- An INA will be consulted on ISME projects and developments relevant to its geographical region.
- An INA has the right to apply to host ISME Conferences and Seminars.
- An INA is encouraged to provide information to be included in ISME Newsletters.
- An INA agrees to pass on information to all ISME members in the nation.
- An INA agrees to promote ISME in the nation by developing ISME's profile and by organising or facilitating national participation at conferences and the like.
- An INA agrees to increase ISME membership in the nation, by meeting agreed targets for Individual Members and Group Members.
- An INA agrees to contribute to ISME international projects by providing advice, contacts, personnel and materials whenever possible.
- An INA agrees to provide a biennial report to the Board's mid-year meeting, and if requested to provide one at any time, showing how it is fulfilling its responsibilities, and on its interaction with ISME.
The Vision for INAs
The current ISME Board wishes to increase the contact between ISME and INAs and work closer with the INAs. The goal is for ISME to be able to offer as much as possible to the INAs and the INAs to ISME.
Since ISME is interested in promoting communication between music educators nationally as well as internationally there are several ways of closer collaboration between ISME and the INAs, as well as between the INAs.
This kind of collaboration among other things could be beneficial as to enrich each country's knowledge about music education. It could lead to exchange research results with each other, gather and circulate information about announcements and news from the INAs about different music education research programs, conduct research projects between researchers from different countries, exchange publications, national curricula, teaching strategies, textbooks and other educational material with each other.
ISME National Affiliates
Argentina: Ascoiacion E Docentes de Musica (ADOMU)
Australia: Australian Society of Music Education (ASME)
Finland: Finnish Society of Music Education (FiSME)
Greece: Greek Society for Music Education (GSME)
Hungary: Hungarian Music Council
Japan: Japanese Society of Music Education (JSME)
Netherlands: Dutch Association for Music Education
New Zealand: Music Education New Zealand / Aoteroa (MENZA)
Norway: Norwegian Musician's Union
Russian Federation: Russian Federation Society for Music Education
South Africa: South African Society of Music Teacher
United Kingdom: Music Education Council (MEC)
United States of America: National Association for Music Education (NAfME)
Becoming an INA
An ISME Group member can apply to become an INA at any time by sending the required information to the Secretary General at firstname.lastname@example.org The required information for an application can be downloaded from this page.